BLACK SABBATH singer Ozzy Osbourne recently spoke to Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates’ The National about the band’s current tour in support of SABBATH‘s comeback album, “13”, which came out last June. Asked what being on the road has been like this time around, Ozzy replied: “Absolutely mind-blowing. We have sold out every gig and had a No. 1 album in 15 countries. It just feels like a rejuvenation for us and goes to show that life is full of surprises. We also don’t do drugs and we don’t do alcohol. The music is what we are about now. We have matured and we have families and responsibilities and I am just having a great time playing with the boys all over again. Another thing is also seeing the fans. We are having grandfathers coming in with their children and they are bringing their kids as well. That, to me, is just great.”
Speaking about SABBATH‘s approach in the studio while recording “13”, Ozzy said: “People were always asking me if we would ever do another BLACK SABBATH album together and I didn’t know. I mean, we did try before, but we felt like we were forcing it and it just didn’t work. This time, it came naturally and a lot of it was down to working with the producer Rick Rubin, which was a joy. He had a vision of working on a BLACK SABBATH album for a long time and because we knew what he wanted, we felt like we were halfway there already before we started.”
Regarding the possibility of SABBATH making a follow-up album to “13”, Ozzy said: “You know what? The way I look at it now is that I am 65. If we have another album in us, I would do it. To be honest with you, I haven’t talked to the rest of the guys about whether they want to do another album with me. We didn’t sit down and plan our next move. But I am up for it. If they say, ‘Let’s do another album,’ then I don’t mind. But at the same time, I have my own solo career, which is doing great, so I always want to work on that. Time is not on my side anymore, so I want to put all my irons in the fire and whatever comes out the hottest, then I will just go for it.”
As previously reported, Osbourne and SABBATH bassist Geezer Butler seem to have slightly different takes on whether the reunited band will record a follow-up to “13”. Asked about guitarist Tony Iommi‘s recent remark that their upcoming concert in London’s Hyde Park could be their last, Ozzy told Guitar World, “If it’s goodbye, we’re ending it on a high note… But I’m up for another BLACK SABBATH album and tour. If we can, great. If not, I’ll just carry on doing my own thing.”
Butler, meanwhile, thinks that the threesome already have a head start on a new record, explaining, “We’ve still got four tracks left over from [’13’]. So maybe we’ll fill in the other four or five tracks and put out another album — if it’s right. We wouldn’t do it just for the sake of it, or the money or whatever. But yeah, maybe.”
Ozzy added, “I never say never. I never thought after 35 years I’d [be back with BLACK SABBATH], have a No. 1 record and a sold-out tour.”
“13”, the first SABBATH album since 1978 to feature Ozzy, Butler and Iommi, was No. 1 in the U.S., the U.K. and nearly a dozen other countries.
Iommi, who has battled cancer since 2012, said recently that the massive July 4 gig at London’s Hyde Park could be the band’s last because the touring can be tough on him.
Iommi, who is in remission, admitted, “To be honest I don’t want to be touring to this extent too much longer, because it makes me feel so bad.”
The Hyde Park show will feature SOUNDGARDEN and others in addition to the headliners.