The surviving members of NIRVANA played a surprise concert at Saint Vitus, a tiny bar and music venue in the Greenpoint neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York, following their induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame on Thursday night (April 10). According to the New York Post, only 250 “close friends and insiders of the band were invited” to this super-secret show, which saw Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear perform a full set of NIRVANA classics.
The concert started at 2 a.m., with Rock Hall performers Joan Jett, Kim Gordon (SONIC YOUTH) and Annie Clark (a.k.a. St. Vincent) once again joining NIRVANA on stage. Also appearing with the group were DEER TICK‘s John McCauley and DINOSAUR JR.‘s J. Mascis.
Setlist for the Saint Vitus show, according to Setlist.fm:
01. Smells Like Teen Spirit (with Joan Jett)
02. Breed (with Joan Jett)
03. In Bloom (with Joan Jett)
04. Territorial Pissings (with Joan Jett)
05. All Apologies (with Joan Jett) (Krist Novoselic played accordion)
06. Drain You (with J Mascis)
07. Pennyroyal Tea (with J. Mascis)
08. School (with J. Mascis)
09. Lithium (with St. Vincent)
10. About a Girl (with St. Vincent)
11. Heart-Shaped Box (with St. Vincent)
12. Serve the Servants (with John McCauley)
13. Milk It (with John McCauley)
14. Very Ape (with John McCauley)
15. Scentless Apprentice (with John McCauley)
16. Tourette’s (with John McCauley)
17. Aneurysm (with Kim Gordon)
18. Negative Creep (with Kim Gordon)
19. Moist Vagina (with Kim Gordon)
Former R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe inducted NIRVANA into the Rock Hall last night. He described the band’s sound as “a sweet and beautiful but fed-up fury coupled with howling vulnerability.” Grohl and Novoselic were joined on stage by NIRVANA frontman Kurt Cobain‘s widow, Courtney Love, and Cobain‘s mother and sister. Grohl told the audience: “I was the quiet one in NIRVANA. I was the drummer. Most of you don’t know, I was the fifth drummer in NIRVANA.” He went on to thank the four drummers before him.
Novoselic said the music of NIRVANA “means so much to so many people. Kurt was an intense artist and he connected with so many people.”
Kurt Cobain‘s mother, nearly in tears, walked up to the mic and said, “I just miss him so much. He was such an angel.”
Joan Jett joined Grohl, Novoselic and Smear in a performance of “Smells Like Teen Spirit”. Annie Clark then performed NIRVANA‘s “Lithium”, and Gordon performed “Aneurysm”. The biggest surprise of the night was when 17-year-old Lorde came out to sing “All Apologies”.
Last Saturday (April 5) marked the 20th anniversary of Cobain‘s death from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.